Nepalese kitchen is not complete without jars of masalas. We use varieties of masala to spice our dishes. It won’t make much difference whether you use packed masala or homemade masala in your dishes if you don’t compromise in quality.
So, if quality matters to you, then you can get top-quality masalas from Century Foods. Century Foods has all types of masalas that Nepalese kitchen needs.
Let’s learn to make homemade tandoori masala using Century spices to prepare tandoori at home.
Homemade tandoori masala recipe
Tandoori is everyone’s favorite. You might have tried to prepare tandoori once or twice at home and might have given up after it didn’t turn out delicious. In that case, you may not have used tandoori masala while preparing tandoori. Using tandoori masala adds authentic taste in your tandoori that makes everyone to lick their fingers.
Tandoori masala is the easiest masala to prepare at home. Ingredients that you need to prepare homemade tandoori masala are:
- Century red chilly powder– 1 tablespoon
- Powdered ginger- 1/4 cup dried
- Century Black pepper- 2 tablespoons
- Powdered garlic- 1/4 cup dried
- Century chat masala -2 tablespoons
- Methi/ powdered methi – 1/4 cup
- Century garam masala– 1/4 cup
- Onion powder- 1/4 cup dried
- Century salt- 3/4 cup
Blend all the ingredients then store them in the tight jar. If you don’t have a blender mix them in a bowl with the help of a spoon. But make sure you mix it well. Your homemade tandoori masala is ready to spice dishes.
Prepare tandoori using homemade tandoori masala
You might think that tandoori taste delicious only when you cook it in tandoor. But that’s not true. You don’t need a tandoor to cook tandoori and you don’t even need an oven to cook tandoori. You can cook flavorful and smoky tandoori in the pan.
Ingredients that you need to make tandoori
- 10-12 pieces of chickens
- 200gm of curd
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons red chilly powder
- Salt according to the taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Ginger garlic paste
- Coriander leaves
- Onion slices
- Lemons halves
- 1 piece of charcoal
- Homemade Tandoori masala
Here is how you prepare tandoori when you are ready will all the masalas.
Drain the chicken in a colander. Make sure that the chicken pieces that you are using to prepare tandoori are clean. If you don’t have colander you can use a big bowl to clean chicken pieces.
For this step, you will need a kitchen knife and a chopboard. Take the chicken and create few gashes in it. Make sure that cuts in the chicken are deep. When the cuts are deeper, chicken can soak all the masalas.
Create gashes in all the chicken pieces you have washed to prepare tandoori.
- Each piece of chicken should have four to five gashes depending upon its size.
- While creating gashes, make sure that you cut deeper.
- Deeper the gashes, taster the tandoori.
Marinate the chicken
Take all the chicken with gashes in the big bowl. Using a big bowl helps you to massage the chicken properly. When you take a bowl, make sure that you have empty space left after you put the chicken in it so that you can massage chicken pieces properly.
When you are ready with a bowl of chicken, now you need to prepare chicken to marinate. Add 200gm of curd to the chicken, 2 tablespoons red chilly powder, salt according to your taste, half a tablespoon ginger garlic paste, 1 tablespoon turmeric powder, and 1 tablespoon homemade tandoori masala.
Massage the chicken properly. Make sure that masalas are rubbed properly.
When massaging the chicken ensures that masalas reach each and every cut in all chicken pieces.
Cover the bowl of chicken with lid. Rest the chicken for 30 minutes to marinate at room temperature.
- You can use chilly powder as per your taste. As tandoori masala already has chilly powder in it so be careful while using chilly powder.
- If you are preparing tandoori for your guest, it’s always better to prepare dishes according to their taste.
- Smell the homemade tandoori masala before using it. If a jar of homemade tandoori masala is not tight then, it may lose its taste and aroma. If your homemade tandoori masala has lost its aroma, then you can add one and a half tablespoon of tandoori masala to the chicken.
- Tighten the lid of the jar every time you use homemade tandoori masala.
- You can use homemade tandoori masala in other dishes as well to give flavor.
Take a non-stick pan then add 2 tablespoons of oil in it. Along with oil add 1 tablespoon of butter. Allow this to heat for a minute or two minutes until the butter melts completely.
When the oil is moderately hot put the chicken pieces that you have marinated. But make sure you don’t overheat the pan otherwise it will start releasing liquid and moisture.
Cook the chicken for a minute and a half on the first side. Flip the chicken and you will see nice golden brown color.
Cook the other side of chicken for a minute and a half.
Keep on flipping the chicken pieces for 10 to 12 minutes until it is cook properly.
Transfer the chicken in the deep bowl.
- Cook three to four pieces of chicken at a time. Keep the space between chicken when cooking in a pan.
- Keep the flame medium when cooking chicken pieces.
Give the chicken pieces taste and flavor
Take the charcoal and light it in the stove. Let the charcoal become red in color.
Put the small steel glass in the middle of the chicken bowl.
With the help of a tong transfer the charcoal in the steel glass. Pour a few splashes of oil in the charcoal.
Cover the bowl with lid for a minute and a half. Let all the chicken pieces get a flavor of smoke. Your tandoori chicken is ready to be served.
Plating the tandoori chicken
- Take a white plate
- Place the tandoori chicken on the plate
- Add a slice of the onion by the side of tandoori chicken
- Add half cut lemon and coriander leaves on the plate