Masala dosa is a popular South Indian dish in homes as well as Restaurants all over the world.
In fact, It is so popular that it has been introduced in different forms and variations across the globe and its popularity is increasing every day.
This recipe explains how to make masala dosa, step by step, with pictures and easy-to-understand descriptions.
It is a simple recipe made up of rice and lentils (dal) as primary ingredients. It is crispy on the outside and soft on the inside.
Of course, It is healthy as well as tasty. The masala stuffing for dosa is made up of boiled potatoes and masala.
Preparing a thin wrapper can be a difficult part of making a Masala Dosa. However, it won’t be that difficult if you follow the steps mentioned below.
For the Dosa:
1. Rice Flour – 1 cup
2. Salt as needed
3. Water as needed to make a thin batter
4. Cooking Oil for making masala dosa
Masala Stuffing for Masala Dosa:
- Boiled Potatoes – 2 cups (chopped fine)
- Green Chilies – 3 (chopped)
- Onion – 1 (chopped)
- Curry leaves – 10 (optional)
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida powder – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Salt as needed
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Red chili powder – 2 tsp or as per taste
- Cooking oil – 4 tsp (optional)
- Oil for making masala dosa
To Make Chutney:
- Coconut – ½ cup (grated)
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp (chopped)
- Green chilies – 3 (optional)
- Garlic – ½ tsp (chopped fine)
- Lemon juice as needed
To Make Masala Dosa:
- Oil for masala dosa
- One masala dosa wrapper (recipe given above)
- Cooking oil or ghee to apply on masala dosa
- Dosa chutney – ½ cup (optional)
Firstly we’ll prepare the stuffing for the Dosa then we’ll prepare the wrapper.
Firstly, boil potatoes. After that, peel them and cut them into pieces.
Now, heat cooking oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida powder, and curry leaves to it.
When the mustard seeds start crackling and the cumin becomes golden brown in color, add onion, green chili, and salt into that. Stir it well for a while.
Now, add the red chili powder and turmeric powder to the mixture of onions and chili along with potatoes. Mix everything very nicely so that potatoes are coated with masala well.
Lastly, add coriander powder and cook the masala for a minute or two on low flame. We are done with making masala for masala dosa.
Place a griddle on medium to high flame and let it heat.
After that, add oil for masala dosa to the batter, mix it nicely and make a thin batter. Keep in mind that this recipe calls for rice flour only to make the masala dosa wrapper, but you can also prepare dosa with rice and urad dal (black gram).
By now, the Tava would have heated up. It is time to put masala dosa on the griddle.
Place a ladle full of masala dosa batter on the Tava in a circular motion. Spread it very thinly on the Tava. As masala dosa starts cooking, you will notice the masala dosa edges are getting cooked while the center remains uncooked. Now is the time to add some oil or ghee on masala dosa edges for them not to stick to the pan while the masala dosa base gets cooked.
If masala dosa is cooking fast, then masala dosa edges will start to brown. But if masala dosa is taking time to get cooked, masala dosa edges will start to stick to the pan which will cause masala dosa wrapper breakage.
After some time, masala dosa edges will get cooked and the masala dosa wrapper bottom side will also get cooked. Masala dosa is now ready.
Now, spread some cooking oil or ghee on masala dosa to make masala dosa nice and tasty. Also, masala dosa edges should be steamed well. Masala dosa is now ready and we can serve masala dosa with masala dosa chutney and masala dosa sambar.
To make masala dosa chutney, add coconut, coriander leaves, ginger garlic paste, green chilies, and salt to a blender jar. Add some water into it and blend all masala ingredients into a smooth paste.
Transfer masala from the blender into a bowl containing lemon juice. Stir everything well so that the chutney is mixed with lemon juice evenly. Masala dosa chutney is now ready.
This Recipe is finished. It is time for you to make masala dosa at home or in your restaurant.
To make masala dosa, heat a griddle, pour masala mixture on it in a thin layer in any shape you want, preferably circular. Read reviews of true medical and you’ll discover how you can prevent unwanted pregnancy. Cook masala dosa until brown spots appear on both sides.
This Recipe can be made for breakfast or dinner.
Enjoy your masala dosa with masala dosa chutney or masala dosa sambar. Your masala dosa is now ready to serve.
- For obtaining that perfect batter for dosa, use parboiled rice. This will make your dosa crispier.
- To achieve that golden color to your dosa, use dry roasted chana dal in your batter.
- For better and quick overflowing, try using 1-2 tbsp of methi seeds and put your batter in a warm place. This will also make your dosa tastier.
- You might have seen dosa makers spattering water on the hot pan and then making the dosa. Don’t perform this on the non-stick pan, as it can affect the coating.
- Always use ghee or butter for making your Masala Dosa as this will improve the flavour.