Pickle is must require side-dish in Nepal while having a meal. Every house in Nepal has a jar of different flavor pickles. And each house has a unique way of preparing pickles.
There are varieties of pickles. Some pickles are sweet, some are sour, some are spicy, and some are tangy. And the method of preparing pickles differs depending upon the ingredients used.
So, in this article, you will learn to prepare 2 different types of mango pickles.
Mango Pickle Recipe
There are many methods of preparing mano recipes. There are very easy to the very complex method of preparing mango recipes. Easy methods use fewer ingredients, whereas complex methods are flavorful as they use many ingredients.
Mango Pickle Recipe 1:
This mango recipe is full of flavor and demands time to prepare. If you want flavorful mango prickle, do follow all steps mentioned.
- Unripe mango- 1 Kg
- Mustard seeds- 1/4 cup
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 cup
- Nigella seeds – 1/4 cup
- Turmeric- 3 tablespoons
- Red chili powder- 2 tablespoons
- Mustard oil- 3 cups
- Salt as required
- Rinse the unripe mango under running water to remove dirt.
- After unripe mangoes are cleaned, you can chop them into pieces. You don’t have the peel the mango before chopping. The skin of the mango will get soft after the pickle is ready. You need to peel mango into small cubes.
- Now you need to grind mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds. So grind mustard seeds and fenugreek seeds into fine powder. Transfer it into a bowl for later use.
- After you are done preparing, now you can start making mango pickles.
- Take a non-reactive bowl, then add chopped mangoes. Make sure you are using a large bowl so that you can easily mix ingredients.
- In the bowl of mango, add mustard powder and fenugreek powder. Then you can add fennel seeds, nigella seeds, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt.
- With the help of a spoon, you can mix all the ingredients. Ensure that each piece of mango is coated with all spices. If the spoon is not helping you, you can use your hand. Keep mixing the ingredients for few minutes, so that mango pieces soak the spices.
- Now add half a cup of mustard oil and mix it well.
- When the pickle is ready, you can store it in the jar. You need a glass jar to store the pickle. And make sure that the jar you are using is clean.
- Transfer the pickle into the jar, then put the lid.
- Keep the jar in sunlight for four days. Every day open the lid of the jar and gently mix the pickle with a spoon.
- In the evening, get the jar inside, then the next morning, sundry the jar. Continue doing it every day.
- After 4 days of sun drying, add the remaining mustard oil to the jar. Give it a gentle mix.
- Close the lid of the jar, then store it in a cool place for a week.
- After a week, the mango pickle is ready to be served.
Mango Pickle Recipe 2
This mango pickle recipe is quite easy to prepare. You don’t need many ingredients to mango pickle following this recipe. And the preparation time is three days. You don’t have to invest much time preparing a mango pickle.
- Raw mangoes- 2 medium-sized
- Mustard seeds- 2 teaspoons
- Fennel seeds- 2 tablespoons
- Coriander powder- 2 tablespoons
- Fenugreek seeds- 1 tablespoon
- Turmeric powder- 2 tablespoons
- Red chili powder- 2 tablespoons
- Onion seeds- 2 tablespoons
- Salt as per taste
- Take the raw mangoes and wash them. Dry raw mangoes using a kitchen towel.
- Then chop the mangoes using a sharp kitchen knife into cubes. While chopping the mangoes, ensure cubes are not large.
- In a large bowl, add mango cubes, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and salt. Mix to coat the mango cubes with spices. You can adjust the amount of chili powder according to your taste.
- All the mango pieces to chill in the refrigerator for about 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, you will notice mangoes will ooze out water. Drain the water, then spread the mango pieces on the clean cloth to dry under the sun for a day.
- Grind the fenugreek seeds and fennel seeds into powder.
- The next day, put all the mango pieces into the bowl, then add fenugreek powder, fennel powder, coriander powder, onion seeds, and mustard seeds.
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium flame. Heat it until it releases smoke, then transfer it into the bowl. Mix it well.
- Transfer it in a clean glass jar. Cover the lid and leave it under the sun for two days.
- After two days dry mango pickle is ready.