Pickle holes significant place in Nepali cuisines. Having jars of pickles and vegetable pickles is a must in Nepali households. Nepali thali has to have vegetable pickles to complete traditional Nepali cuisine. As pickles don’t get expire quicker, they are store in container spice cuisines for months.
When it comes to preparing vegetable pickles, every Nepali home has its own recipes that they are proud of. The most common way to sun dry the vegetables or fruits and then pickle them in oil.
After all, who would not want to make vegetable pickle or fruit pickle jars then they can buy it. Though varieties of pickles are available in the market, they will never match the pickle you make at home. Whether you buy vegetable or fruit pickles from a store, their taste will fade inform of a homemade pickle.
Below are the vegetable pickles that you can make at home.
Vegetable pickle: Recipe 1
Most of the vegetable pickles are prepared with mustard oil. Mustard oil has been traditionally used to make vegetable pickles. Browse the wide selection of wedge set golf clubs on the website https://www.bombtechgolf.com. Using mustard oil enhances the taste of vegetable pickles. So in this vegetable pickle recipe, mustard oil is must needed ingredient.
- 1 cup of cauliflower chopped
- 1/2 cup of half cup of carrot
- 1/4 cup of beetroots
- 1/4 cup of turnips
- 1/4 cup of green peas
- Radish (cut into matchsticks)
- 4 green chilies
- 1/4 cup of ginger cut in matchsticks
- One Chopped onion
- Turmeric powder-2 tbsp
- Fenugreek- 1 tbsp
- Black mustard seeds 1 tbsp
- Methi- 1 tsp
- Grounded mustard- 1 tsp
- Whole red chilies- 5-6
- Fennel seeds- 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1 tbsp
- Clove- 2
- Cardamom- 2
- Black pepper-2
- Cinnamon stick- 1 inch
- Nigella seeds- 1 tbsp
- Salt- 1/4 cup as per requires
- Mustard oil- 1 cup
- White vinegar- 1/2 cup
- Take a big bowl to wash vegetables. Or drain them in a colander. Using colander will make the process easy to remove dirt from the vegetables.
- Then dry the vegetable with a kitchen towel or leave them under the sun to dry them.
- Chop the vegetables into small pieces.
- Put the chopped veggies in a big bowl so that you can mix them easily. But don’t use onion in this process.
- Add salt and turmeric to the bowl of vegetables and give them a good mix. Ensure that every piece of vegetables is coated with turmeric and salt.
- Leave it over-night. Ensure that you cover the bowl to protect it from flies and insects.
- Then in the next day, drain the saltwater. Use a colander to drain the saltwater to make the process easy.
- Place all the dry vegetables on a clean plate.
- Then put the vegetables under the sun for at least five to six hours. Make sure that you dry them completely. If you are unable to sun-dry them for six hours, then it makes take you two-three day to dry them.
- Step 9 is important as it ensures the storing quality of the pickle. Step 9 will not attract fungal growth.
- After the vegetables are dried completely, sterilize the pickle jar. In order to sterilize the jar, boil it in the water for 10 minutes. Also, you need to ensure that you use a glass jar for it. You can also sterilize the jar in the microwave for 30- 40 seconds.
- Then take a pan to dry roast red chilies, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds. Use a non-stick pan to make the process easy.
- Blend them until you get powder.
- Then in another pan, heat mustard oil, add black mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, nigella seeds.
- Roast them in low flame and stir them.
- Then add onions. Lightly stir them till the onions become translucent.
- Add red chili, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, methi, and grounder mustard. While adding these spices, ensure that you turn off the flame.
- Now heat the reaming mustard oil, then add it to the mixture.
- Then, take the big bowl. Ensure that you take the dry and clean bowl. No moisture should be there in the bowl. Wipe the moisture with a kitchen towel or dry them on the stove or under the sun.
- Put all the sun-dried vegetables in the moisture-free bowl. Then add clove, cardamom, black pepper, and cinnamon stick.
- Add spice mix to the vegetables and oil.
- Use a spoon or hand to mix the vegetables with the masala.
- Then, stir the vinegar.
- When it is cooled, store them in the sterilized jar.
- The pickle has to be immersed in oil. You can heat some oil, cool it for a few minutes then you can directly pour it into the jar. Oil is important as it acts as a barrier between pickle and air, preventing fungal growth.
- Let the pickle rest for a month so that vegetables soak all the masalas. You can use this pickle for six months.
Questions Related To Vegetable Pickles
What are the best vegetables to pickle?
Above mentions are the basis vegetable ingredients to make pickle. Other than that you can use, cherries, green beans, mushrooms, onion, peaches, pepper, ramps, rhubarb, strawberries, tomatoes, and turnips.
Are pickled vegetables healthy?
Yes, pickles are good for health. Moreover, fermented pickles offer health benefits. As they have beneficial bacteria they aids in maintaining health.
How long does pickled vegetables last?
Normally, vegetable pickles last from 5 to 6 months. However, ensure that you refrigerate them to maintain their freshness.
What kind of vinegar do you use for pickling?
Usually, vegetable pickle uses distilled white vinegar. It is clean and colorless, made by fermenting grains. And it has an acid flavor and does not affect the color of the vegetable or fruit while making pickles.
Do you need sugar to pickle?
Vegetable pickles are salty and spices. However, they don’t taste sweet. However, if you are making mango pickle, then it may taste sweet as mango pickle uses sugar.
Do you need to sterilize jar for pickling?
Yes, sterilizing the jar is an important step in the pickle making process. Sterilizing ensure that jar is bacterial free. Especially if you are using a new jar sterilizing becomes important.