White Sauce Pasta is one of the simplest pasta recipes, but it’s also one of the most popular. It is simply cooked pasta combined with a silky smooth & dissolute white sauce made of milk, butter, and flour.
The result is an amazingly creamy dish that uses up very few ingredients which makes this recipe even more simple and attractive. It is also known as “Mornay Sauce”, and it’s amazing for cheese lovers.
You can use any kind of pasta you like, but this recipe typically uses long spaghetti noodles with a medium thickness to them. If you don’t have spaghetti in the house, try elbow macaroni or fettuccine noodles.
This recipe is super quick and easy to make, but it does require some patience when you’re adding the cheese to the white sauce.
It is definitely one of the easiest recipes out there. This pasta is a very traditional recipe that will be sure to please the entire family, but it’s also fancy enough for company. It is simple, inexpensive, and easy to find in stores.
White Sauce Pasta Recipe: Ingredients-
1. 1 cup elbow macaroni noodles (or spaghetti noodles)
2. 1 tbsp butter
3. 3-4 tbsp flour (depending on how thick you like it)
4. 3 tsp salt (or to taste)
5. dash of pepper
6. 3 cups 2% milk (depending on how thick you like it)
7. ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
8. 1 tsp crushed garlic (optional)
9. 2 tbsp chopped parsley (optional)
While following this recipe, make sure that you don’t skip any steps or ingredients. Skipping one step or one ingredient mentioned in the recipe can hamper the taste of the Pasta.
In a medium-sized pot, bring water to a boil and add 1 tbsp butter as you wait for the water to come up to a boil. When boiling, add the pasta and cook until it is al dente (firm to the bite but not crunchy). It doesn’t usually take more than 5-6 minutes to cook.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. This Pasta is typically baked in the oven to give it a crunchy top layer. Prepare a 2-quart baking dish by spraying it with cooking spray (or brushing on some butter).
Once the pasta is cooked, drain it and then return it to the pot that you cooked it in (but turn off of the heat). Add the salt, pepper, and garlic (optional) and stir until combined. Then add the milk.
In a medium-sized pan over low heat, melt the butter until it becomes foamy. Then stir in the flour gradually with a whisk to create a roux which will be this Pasta’s thickener. This pasta requires patience here!
The mixture cannot reach high temperatures or you’ll have scrambled eggs on your hands. This pasta takes 5-7 minutes to cook and thicken, so lower the heat even more if need be and constantly stir with a whisk until you achieve a thick yet creamy consistency.
Once this Pasta’s roux has thickened, add it to your pasta in the pot and mix well until everything is combined. Then pour White Sauce Pasta into the prepared baking dish.
It is ready to be served! Add the cheese, parsley (optional) and serve hot. If you have leftovers, keep them in the fridge overnight because It actually tastes better when reheated since the flavors have time to blend. It also freezes well for up to 3 months, so you can make a large batch and freeze it for later use!
It is best served as a side dish for grilled meats or poultry. This Pasta goes well with everything, so enjoy!
- Stirring and mixing flour: When you add the flour, you need to keep on stirring often so that lumps aren’t formed. Constantly stirring the flour also cooks the flour evenly. You will notice the flour frothing and working when you sauté it. You have to sauté flour till you get a nice nutty aroma and the flour gets a pale golden color.
- White sauce free of lumps: To make a lump-free sauce, use cold milk. Hot, warm, or milk at room temperature may produce lumps in the sauce.
- Checking doneness of white sauce: If you see that the sauce coats the back of the spoon, it has gelled well.
- For a cheese sauce: Add 2 tablespoons of freshly grated cheddar cheese for a cheesy white sauce. You can add 1 tablespoon of grated vegetarian parmesan cheese.
- Herbs & Veggies: You can add both new herbs and dried herbs of your choice. When you join the herbs, you can also add steamed, roasted, or sautéed veggies.
- Gluten-free options: Make the corresponding recipe with gluten-free pasta and use rice flour or gluten-free flour for the white sauce.
- Vegan options: Almond milk works very accurately in the recipe. Just cook almond milk on low heat so that it does not split or enhance the grain.
Is it Healthy?
It is not healthy. This Recipe includes pasta and milk. White sauce typically uses butter and flour as a base, so it’s high in fat and low in nutritional value. Pasta unless consumed moderately should be avoided especially by children.
It is best when made at home so you can keep the quantity in check. It is high in cholesterol, saturated fats, and sodium.
Serve hot pasta on its own or with tomato soup and bread pizza or garlic bread for dinner. It can be served as a side dish with grilled meats or poultry. It can be eaten as a breakfast as well as a brunch item. This recipe is quick, easy, and utterly tasty!
Notes: It is creamy, dreamy, rich, and delicious! This recipe is a quick & easy meal to prepare. It takes only 20 minutes to make. It takes 5-7 minutes to cook and thicken, so lower the heat even more if needed and constantly stir with a whisk until you achieve a thick yet creamy consistency.